In July, I participated in the Astronomical Quilts! Block Challenge by completing a 9.5" wonky star block. I decided I really liked the block, but didn't want to make a ton of them. Hence, The Giant Wonky Star quilt (working title). I had enough of the background fabric to make the star 48" x 48". With the three additional borders, it measures 62" x 62". I had the quilt top and pieced back done in August. It went together so quickly. I even made a quilt label for it's September completion. Oops. (I've made a new one.) Thanks again to ALYoF for helping me get a project from the back burner to the finished column this month!
I was searching for a cosmic name for the quilt. With some help from my husband I settled on Stellar Wind. Stellar wind is the flow of particles from the atmosphere of a star, and is not generally symmetric. Perfect!
I think part of the long delay in quilting it was my inability to decide what design(s) to use. With help from my sister I finally came up with a plan last weekend. I decided to do square and triangular spirals inside the star. Then for the background I used a swirl and star pattern I'd used before when I quilted Frieda. I stitched in the ditch between each border, extending the background pattern to the second border. Then on the outer border I made a variety of planets. If you look very closely (okay, maybe you can't tell) you'll see that I ran out of the thread I was using and the last 6 or so planets are a different color. ;-)
After all those planets, some of them were even kinda round!