Sewing

16 Comments

It's week two for Project QUILTING. Voting is now open. This week's theme of Triangulation has so many possibilities. So many that I think the options are a little overwhelming. Last challenge I made a list of about a dozen options and picked one. This week I just kept thinking about more (and bigger) possibilities. And too bad I didn't make this one this week!

I've set myself some goals for my design work, and I'm trying to keep those goals and my plan to work small for these one-week challenges in mind when choosing my project for the week. I also happen to have another deadline this week. So, I had to keep dissuading myself from ideas that would be a bit too much work. I landed on some pieced equilateral triangles and decided to use them to make a small gift for a lovely friend who I was seeing today for her birthday. My plan was set by Monday night, and I finished my project with some late night sewing Tuesday evening.

 

I decided to make the Noodlehead Open Wide Zippered Pouch. I've made it numerous times and it's a great tutorial and a fast make. For this challenge I decided I'd work in the triangles with piecing on the front of the bag. But then I got a little bit paralyzed with indecision with regards to the fabric choices. I decided this would be an excellent opportunity to make a small dent in my box of mini charm squares and chose this pack of ColorWorks microchips from Northcott, a giveaway I received at QuiltCon.

I cut the biggest equilateral triangles I could from these 2 1/2" squares using the 60 degree angle on my ruler. They were about 2 1/4" on each side. Once I decided to use the solid rainbow for my triangles, I easily decided on a couple black and white prints to pair them with.

I arranged my fifteen triangles in rainbow order and pieced them in a row, adding my black on white print to the ends of the row so the strip would reach the full width of my panel.

This is the largest size from the tutorial, and I like to line these big ones with fusible fleece, Pellon 987F (affiliate link), so they stand up nicely on their own. I chose a light print from my stash to line the bag. The finished pouch is about 8 1/2" tall and has a 14" zipper.

 

Voting is open. Check out what everyone made and vote for your ten favorites! Mine is #16. Made in San Jose, California.

4 Comments

I've made a few pillowcases in my time and I've always used a serger. Our BAMQG gift exchange was yesterday and we were asked to bring our gift in a pillowcase for donation to the Happiness is a Warm Quilt drive for the fire victims in Santa Rosa and Napa Counties. Everyone was talking about the burrito method for making a pillowcase (with french seams), so I decided to try it out. I used Jaye's blog post to guide me, but others used this YouTube video. I omitted the accent fabric and chose two prints from my stash.

I LOVE this method! It's quick and easy and the french seams make it feel so fancy. It's a little hard to get a photo of the seams, but the magic is in the fact that there is no exposed edge of fabric.

I wish I had timed how long it took me. All I know is that it was fast! Tada! (My cuff fabric is a single colorblocked piece of fabric with six different shades of green.)

And I used my pillowcase to wrap the gift I gave yesterday. Now I'm debating making pillowcase style Hanukkah gift bags (to reuse every year) instead of the lined drawstring bags I thought I'd make.

What are your favorite magically fast tutorials?

SaveSaveSaveSave

4 Comments

BAMQG had a kitchen themed gift exchange for the holiday party. My partner, Gerre, wanted an orange apron. After extensive searching through many, many apron patterns I settled on the Pretty Ditty Apron by Jaime Christina after seeing this cute version posted by Hip Stitch on Instagram. (Definitely visit Hip Stitch if you are in Albuquerque, NM. Great shop. Great people.)

Orange is not a color I stash much of, so I visited my local quilt shop to find just the right combination of fabrics. In the end I chose the butterfly print because Gerre had also mentioned Low Volume in the color category. I was concerned that a low volume fabric would show stains easily, but I liked that this print had a low(ish) volume background. I decided it would be a good option for the bust and ties of the apron. It took me about five hours to sew, not including cutting time. There was an optional ruffle for the bottom hem which I chose not to include. And the apron is reversible with two pockets on each side. The reverse side features Moda Grunge fabric... I need to use more of that.

 

The party and gift exchange was today. I knew Gerre would like the apron, but it was fun to see her wear it for the rest of the party. Here she is!

 

I received an iPad stand, which I'm excited to have for using while I'm cooking. And my daughter is thrilled that she can use it while she watched Cupcake Wars. ;-) She may have told my husband that the iPad stand was for her.

We are into week two of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge. For me it could be called the 31 Day Late Night Blog Writing Challenge. ;-) Thanks for reading. Check out others who are participating in the challenge by following the link to Cheryl's blog.

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave