Tag Archives: Island Batik


This week the new project on the design wall is my Improv Tumbler that I'm making for my Island Batik Ambassador "Whimsical and Wonky" challenge this month. All of my fabrics are from the Paisley Dot Brights 10" stack (provided to me by Island Batik). I'm going for a color wash effect. I was able to get all of my whole tumblers onto the wall. I have a pile of half tumblers that I will use to fill in the ends of each row and perhaps piece together to fill in if needed. These improv tumblers were cut freehand with a rotary cutter, without the use of a ruler or template.

I look forward to starting to get this one sewn together. It's shown on a 48" wide design wall, so I expect it will shrink up up around 36" wide.

Edited to add: A little more on this project can be found in this earlier post. And it's based on my Improv Tumbler Mini (which I miss).

What's on your design wall this week?


The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik.

This month our Island Batik Ambassador challenge is Whimsical and Wonky. I knew just what I wanted to make. One of the quilts that I have given away and miss the most is the Improv Tumbler Mini that I made for the 2017 MQG swap. This month I'll be making a larger scale Improv Tumbler quilt with my Bright Paisley Dot 10" squares.

These tumbler block units were cut with a rotary cutter without the use of a straight edge or template. I started by slicing the 10" square roughly in half, so they are all about 5" tall, but then I just chopped those strips up. I'm looking forward to getting this lovely rainbow pile up onto the design wall.

Stay tuned!


The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, including products from Aurifil and Hobbs.

Our November Island Batik Ambassador challenge was to use log cabins. Log cabin blocks are so versatile. Many of us decided to utilize our 2 1/2" strip precuts. I thought this would be a great opportunity to do just that and brought out my Jungle Cruise strips. This collection is full of color in a variety of prints: tortoise shell, giraffe, snake skin, cheetah, reptile, and fern/leaf. My accompanying yardage was snake skin in hay and giraffe in citrine.

I chose to feature some of the brighter colored 2 1/2" strips with Snake Skin in Hay as my light neutral to contrast. I considered starting with a rectangle in the center of my single large log cabin, but eventually chose to start with an 8 1/2" center square (unfinished). It was once I had added my fourth side to the log cabin that I decided I really did want a rectangular center section. So I chopped off the side to trim down my center piece to (what would have started at) 6 1/2" x 8 1/2". There wasn't anything magical about this size except that the finished dimensions were both multiples of 2, since the 2 1/2" strips would finish at 2" wide.

From this point I worked improvisationally, auditioning colors for the next strips as I went. I had a slightly different vision in mind (which I'll consider for a future project), but I'm pleased with the final composition. It finished at approximately 38" x 40".

I opted to try out Hobbs Tuscany 100% wool batting for the first time with this project. I was a bit concerned that the higher loft than I'm used to would create a problem quilting on my domestic machine, but it was very easy to work with. My quilting all had the same density, but I think I'll be using some of the batting scraps to play around with mixing in some more dense quilting to really make the less quilted areas pop. Compared to my default cotton batting, this quilt is puffier and lighter weight. The wool batting seemed to cause less drag as I pushed the quilt around to do the quilting.

Jungle Cabin was quilted with Aurifil 50wt #2310 Light Beige thread. I opted for ribbon candy in the colored strips and I created a 1-inch grid of wavy lines in the background.

Giraffes are one of my favorite animals. I just love this giraffe print I chose for the back. Sometimes the favorite print going on the back of a quilt is a great way to enjoy a large piece of it.

And you know how I love a machine binding!



Thanks for visiting!

P.S. Kathleen and Laura both opted for super sized log cabins this month, too!