Tag Archives: Project QUILTING


Thank Goodness It's FINISHED Friday!

Welcome to TGIFF! Thanks for joining us this week!

It is nearly the end of the last one-week Project QUILTING challenge of the season. The challenge for this week is SCRAPtastic and requires that we use at least 12 fabrics. I started with one of my newsletter palettes from this week and built a fabric pull from my stash around those colors.

At this point I didn't have a solid plan for what I'd make and I had one day. I considered a workshop sample or another mini quilt based on a letter of the alphabet, and I finally settled on making a lined drawstring bag as a gift for a friend. I made an open wide zipper pouch as a gift for an earlier Project QUILTING challenge this season.

Since the theme of the challenge was SCRAPtastic, I decided on some improv piecing. I basically sewed slabs together and then cut them up to attach the pieces to other units. Just like my quilts, the slab was stitched with Aurifil 50wt thread and seams were pressed open. I needed a panel that was 10 1/2" by 24 1/2" for the exterior of the bag. (I opted to not have an accent fabric along the top of the exterior.) I worked from yardage, but this technique could easily be applied to scraps!

I love this tutorial and have made numerous lined drawstring bags in the past. It's a quick project. I sewed this up, including the scrappy exterior, in an afternoon. And it doesn't require any interfacing or hardware. Quick and easy!


In Other News...

Voting is open for the Craftsy 2018 Quilt Designer Fellowship. I'm a finalist and I'd be so excited to win! If you haven't voted yet today, click over to see the work of the ten finalists and vote for your favorite. Voting ends on March 23 at 11:59pm MST.

I'm linking up to Project QUILTINGNeedle & Thread Thursday, and Finish It Friday.





I decided to go simple and small for this week's Project QUILTING theme of A Stitch in Time.

The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, including products from Aurifil.

This week I was working on two other Island Batik projects, a super secret rep sample of a not-yet-released collection that I'll just say is full of saturated color -- just what I love, and my March "try a technique" project which I'm using my Mountain's Majesty 10" stack for. The stack includes two each of 21 fabrics. (The full line has 46 fabrics!) I prepped my fabric for that project and used about 3/4 of one set of the squares, leaving me a scrap pile of rectangles, one piece of each of the 21 fabrics. I'd already decided to go simple for this week's Project QUILTING challenge and had landed on a 9-patch block mug rug. Ya know... cause A Stitch in Time... Saves... Nine. The Mountain's Majesty collection is a beautiful assortment of neutrals, blues, greens, and purples. I'll be using it all in this month's Island Batik challenge. But for my PQ challenge, I chose my nine favorite prints from the pile to make my 9-patch. I especially love that deep purple in the top left!

I opted for a pillowcase binding and super simple quilting. Just a border around the edge and a square echoing the center square on the 9-patch. The quilting was done with Aurifil 40wt Light Blue Grey (#2610). It is backed with Aspen Leaves in Leprechaun and finished at 8"x8".

I'm linking up to Project QUILTING 9.5. Be sure to check out all the submissions and vote for your favorites (starting Sunday). (Mine is #24.)





Or... Not So Mellow Yellow.

I knew this week's Project QUILTING challenge would be extra hard since I was leaving for QuiltCon on Wednesday morning. That left less than 70 hours for the challenge, including sleeping and packing. Step one, make it small. Maybe really small.

I was pleased for it to be a color challenge, as I knew I could make it work in the short period of time. The first palette I considered was this year's QuiltCon Charity palette. First, it included a bright, cheerful yellow. Second, I've loved the palette since it was first announced. And third, since I'm an Individual Member of the MQG I wasn't participating in making a charity quilt with those colors. I had already purchased the solids a while back, knowing I would someday make a quilt in this palette. My fabrics were Kona Corn Yellow, School Bus, Red, Geranium, and Bright Peri. (Why use a neutral when you can use more color instead?)

I chose a simple, single star block. "Work small," as my friend Mel reminds me for short challenges. So, I decided on an 8-inch sawtooth star block. I wanted to use all the colors, which led to the decision to piece the background sections by building a slab from the non-yellow colors. I edited out the School Bus orange in favor of the three darkest values: Red, Geranium, and Bright Peri.


Here's an accidental alternative setting. I dig this one too, but it wasn't what I initially had in mind and I wanted to stick with plan A.

Once the block was pieced, I intended to add a border of the scrappy background and a yellow binding, but I would have had to build a new slab and I was crunched for time. I didn't like the idea of putting a solid yellow binding on it without the borders since the star points would touch the binding. It was clear to me that the right answer was a scrappy binding that would blend with the background.

It took a little planning to be sure that my corners wouldn't have seams, and that the binding fabrics weren't matching too much with the background fabrics. Though honestly, it probably would have been faster to build more slab for borders and use a single piece of fabric for binding. That said, I'm thrilled with the results.

Not So Mellow Yellow finishes at 8.5" x 8.5". The walking foot quilting was done with 50wt Aurifil #2120 (Canary).

I'm linking up to Project QUILTING 9.4. Be sure to check out all the submissions and vote for your favorites. (Mine is #70.)