Tag Archives: scrappy


Some finishes are a long time coming. I participated in Cheryl's 2015-2016 Midnight Mystery Quilt and had a finished quilt top in March 2016 at the end of the the quilt along. My projects without deadlines often get stuck at this stage. In April 2017 I had it quilted, then it sat folded up in a pile... with the binding all made and ready to attach. Projects with deadlines, including challenges and patterns, took priority. Well... I finally attended my first sew day with Bay Area Modern last Saturday and brought my mystery quilt along. It was a rocky start with frustration and seam ripping, but I managed to get the binding on that day.

A little recap on my project. The mystery called for four fabrics and in order to pull my fabric entirely from my stash I chose for each of those colors to be scrappy. Orange and pink were chosen because at the time they were the most plentiful (and least used) colors in my stash. I chose the blue and light grey to round out the palette.

Tami quilted it with the Modern Curves panto. I asked her to load the quilt sideways so the waves would be vertical on my quilt.

The quilt is backed in Tula Pink Mini Owl in Pacific, one of the prints I used on the front. It's bound in Kona orange... except for one section of the right edge which used one of the orange prints from the quilt top.

I'm so glad to finally have it finished and am thrilled to add it to the pile of quilts that my family enjoys. It's sure to be used to make a fort in no time!

One of my favorite parts of making a mystery quilt is seeing how everyone else's versions turn out. Check out the Midnight Mystery Quilt Reveal Parade.



Due to an unforeseen blogging hiatus I have two months of mystery quilt sewing to share with you. We're over halfway through the Midnight Mystery Quilt by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs. And as of November we've used all our pieces (I think). In October, we put together nine giant 19" Courthouse Steps units. Cheryl has said we'll be using them in December (directions will be out this Thursday). I suspect we'll be cutting them up, but I'll keep my guess of what exactly is happening to myself. This was the last bit of sewing I did on my retreat this month.

In November, we put together all of the smaller units we'd made in August and September. We ended up with these 28 units. I love seeing all my scrappy fabrics together here.


It's never too late to join in on the mystery quilt. You can find all the directions on Cheryl's blog.