I've vowed to get caught up on the Building Blocks Quilt Along before Leah Day gets to Block 5. After finishing the quilting for the Block 2.3 last week, I got all the blocks pieced for Block 3 (Rail Fence Block) and Block 4 (Modern Building Block). Four of each. By this weekend I intend to switch gears back to quilting and get my Rail Fence blocks marked.
In the meantime (partly because I was out of printer ink, so I couldn't mark my above blocks for quilting), I went back to an old work-in-progress. I last mentioned this project in my first post when I showed a peek at this project. As of today I've now made 162 two-inch squares into these eighteen 9-patch blocks. This brings me up to step 10 in the project. I love when all the little pieces start coming together. Next up, I attach all those strips from January with the half-square triangles on them to border these 9-patches. This is a mystery quilt, so I still don't know what the final quilt will look like.
Worth noting, I found my fabrics in this project to be very "floppy"... I guess I'm a fan of using starch. :-) Also, I kept following the directions of pressing the seams to one side for consistency throughout this project. And I even failed to follow the directions on one set, oops... hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the next step. It has reinforced my new-found love for pressing the seams open. :-)
The Girl has hijacked The Purple Quilt for use in her crib. This seems to be further evidence that I need to get my act together and finish HER quilt. I got some great advice from the quilters in the BBQA community about machine applique methods. I'll have to look into the specifics and maybe do a small project to practice.
Thanks for looking! If you'd like to follow me along as I work on these projects, please subscribe at the top right.
Related articles across the web