Last year I started the tradition of making The Girl a new outfit for her party. When we decided on the theme for this year's party, I just knew that I should get myself some of the cute Urban Zoologie Ladybug fabric. I ordered a variety of potential accompanying red patterns and settled on Riley Blake's Medium Chevron in Red and Black to go with. Knowing the pieces will be worn together and separate I stuck to the ladybug fabric for the top and the chevron for the shorts. The top was my first piece using a Brownie Goose pattern, the Lazy Susan. Details here on my process. I look forward to making a dress with this pattern. I love the boat neck and flutter sleeves. (And the versatility that it can be done with or without flutter sleeves, with a split bodice, with multiple fabrics, etc.) The shorts are a 4" inseam version of the Parsley Pants by Made by Rae. Same pattern you've seen here and here. Other than shortening them, I kept them basic. They have a flat-front waist, but no pockets. But OMG, why did I choose chevrons for pants! In the end I'm pleased with how well the patterns matched up, but it was touch and go there for a while.
I wanted to make The Boy a coordinating piece. I've previously only made him pants and a vest. I wanted to do something different, so I made The Bowling Shirt, by Scientific Seamstress. I wish I wasn't so crunched for time that I was finishing it the morning of the party, but it went together without incident. I was very happy with the pattern and instructions. This was my first time making a shirt like this. First collar. First inset sleeves. (I've only done flutter sleeves before.) I'll TOTALLY make this pattern again. And like the Lazy Susan, it has a bunch of variations to choose from to change it up.
Thanks for looking! See the rest of the party details in yesterday's post.