Welcome to TGIFF! Thanks for joining us this week!
A year and a half ago I started teaching my son how to quilt. My daughter was 2 1/2 at the time, and as soon as my son was laying out his squares of fabric to design the layout of his quilt, my daughter wanted in on the task, too. I had cut a pile of squares that I intended to use for a simple baby quilt that I could donate or give as a gift. I happily gave her my pile of squares. Well, she designed her own pattern with my squares, and it was clear from the beginning that this quilt would be for her. (The quilt is pieced exactly as she designed it, so the safari squares are not all going the same direction.)
I work on a lot of projects at a time, and as a result, things sometimes take a long time to get finished. This quilt was no exception. I gave it to my daughter last month for her 4th birthday.
Wanting to try something different, I chose to graffiti quilt it. I quilt on a domestic machine and this is the largest project I've done graffiti quilting on. I opted for three colors of thread to blend in with the different quilt blocks. The matching bobbin thread created an interesting variety on the back. My goal was to graffiti quilt on a larger scale than I have in the past, but I found that difficult and ended up with a lot of small scale, dense quilting. For the safari blocks, I generally tried to quilt in a way to feature the animals instead of quilting over them.
There are areas that I love, and areas that I'm not so fond of, but on the whole, I'm happy with the results.
Note the date on the label. It's a lie. I made the label in December, thinking I'd "quilt it up real quickly" and finished it in May. Oops.
Thank you for visiting! If you're new to my site, here is some of what I'm currently working on. I hope to knock them into the finished column soon!