Last Fall I watched as hundreds of quilters participated in the Tula Pink City Sampler quilt along hosted on Instagram by Angie of Gnome Angel. Among others, I drooled over my friend Liz's blocks. So, when Angie was gearing up for another round, I knew I had to dive in. I knew I wanted to use my Tula Pink fabric stash. And I knew this quilt will be for me. I started by choosing a palette and pulled my Tula prints and Kona solids that were mainly green, blue or purple (with hints of pink).
Starting on May 7, participants started making one 6" block a day... we'll post the last block in the book on August 14. Participants are allowed to work ahead, but to be eligible for prizes we must post each block on the correct day (in our own time zone). The first couple weeks of blocks are all cross blocks. I'm really enjoying working with the Tula fabric and fussy cutting the cute critters. Here are my first seven blocks.
See all the blocks I've made on Instagram at #sgq100blocks and check out everyone's blocks at #100days100blocks2017.
Check out my week 2 blocks.
I opted in to participate in the Riley Blake Creative Rockstar Challenge with the Modern Quilt Guild and received a package of the challenge fabrics. We were allowed to add additional fabric from the line as well as any Riley Blake solids. I opted to order the additional colorway of the Rockstar Rhythm print (with the triangles) as it was my favorite in the line. I love the geometric design. I also ordered solid black and grey and ultimately decided on the grey in order to emphasize the quilting.
In designing my quilt, I decided to feature the three different colorways and fussy cut to show an interesting section of the print. I planned my quilting to emulate the design from the fabric in a much larger scale. I achieved this quilting motif by marking my fabric.
I used a straight edge to draw the different sized triangles and then stitched approximately 1/8” on each side of the lines. There were a lot of threads to bury, but I’m very happy with the results.
I had just enough leftover from my pieced strips from the quilt top to be able to piece them in to the binding to extend the quilt top design onto the binding.
I completed my 16" x 16" quilt a full week before the deadline (Shocker, I know!) and submitted it to the MQG challenge. Winners are supposed to be announced this month.
I love seeing all the different takes on the challenge. There are quite a variety of styles! You can check out other entries at #mqgfabricchallenge on Instagram.