The products featured in this post were given to my by Island Batik and Aurifil.
This month our Island Batik challenge was to try something new. There are so many options in the quilting world to try a new technique or tool. I was inspired by my friend Gayle’s recent quilt project where she used Fabric Magic on her quilt top. Here's one of her textured flowers:
Fabric Magic is a polyester fabric that "shrinks up to 30% when steam-activated." The way it works is that it is stitched to the back of a single layer of fabric in straight lines or free motion stitching. Then you apply steam (without touching the iron to the polyester fabric) and the Fabric Magic shrinks up and causes the quilting cotton to wrinkle up. Different density or types of stitching will achieve different results.
The Peach, Flame, and Tangy fabrics are from the Island Batik Basics line. I chose these as a starting point so I could submit this piece for the 2019 Pantone Quilt Challenge. The teal I added is a Cherio print (BE21-G1) from the Blenders line. I used Fabric Magic on three panels and, in true try it fashion, opted to use different free motion motifs on each.
The first, and my favorite, was back and forth wavy lines on the diagonal, stitched with Aurifil 50wt Fleshy Pink (#2420) on the Peach fabric. I think in addition to it being my preferred motif for ease of stitching and pattern of texture it creates, the technique just shows up better on lighter fabric due to being able to see the shadows from the texture more easily. The stitched area shrunk up from 17" wide to approximately 14 1/2" wide, about a 15% shrinkage.
My second section was pebbles on my teal panel with Aurifil 50wt Jade (#4093).
And my last section was spirals on the Flame fabric with Aurifil 50wt Red Orange (#2245). I didn't make a panel on the Tangy fabric since I didn't have a thread color that would blend well.
At this point I used my textured and non-textured fabrics to cut sections with smooth, gentle improv curves. I initially considered the sections to be horizontal, but decided in the end to rotate the quilt so they were in a vertical layout. I felt this orientation both worked better with the finished dimensions, and also gave a feel of coral and seaweed in the ocean.
I used a remnant of Quilter’s Dream Select 100% cotton batting that was just about the perfect size. Since I was working on a small quilt and intended to stitch on either side of each seam to stabilize the quilt before more quilting I opted not to baste. (Channeling Dora Cary!). I echoed each side of the curved seam on each non-textured fabric. (The textured sections did not get quilted, but if used in a larger section one could do some quilting on top of the previous stitching lines.) After my echo stitching, I chose nesting C curves, inspired by Mel Beach’s recent finish. I used overlapping curved lines on the two end sections.
I used the rest of the piece of Tangy fabric to make binding, knowing that I'd have way more than I needed and will utilize it on a future project. Isn't it so cute on my Binding Baby!? Usually I favor machine binding, but due to the textured sections I opted for a hand bound finish.
Living Coral finished at 22" x 13 1/2".
Be sure to check out what the other Island Batik Ambassadors are trying out this month!
This is also my contribution to the 2019 Pantone Quilt Challenge in the Minis category. (I'm in the USA.) And, it's my OMG for June (which I'll try to remember to linkup with the finishes at the end of the month). ;-)
I've linked up to June Favorite Finish and Beauties Pageant.
Thanks for visiting!
I love the effect in this quilt. I do have some somewhere, I think, and would never have thought to use it in this simple way - its so effective. Good luck in the Pantone challenge.
It was easy toward with. I'd use it again. It would be fun on kids clothing, a baby quilt, a mini quilt for dementia patients. Thanks for visiting, Kathleen!
I love the colors! Great interpretation of Living Coral, too, with a coral and seaweed picture.
Thank you, Emily. I had a rough idea, but I'm really pleased with the composition in this orientation. Thanks for visiting!
Anja @ Anja Quilts
Awesome! It looks great. I'm going to have to search for this product.
It was fun to work with. I think it would be fun to use in children's clothing as well.
I love what you have done and enjoyed reading how, the colors are just amazing.
Thank you, Barbara! It was a fun little project.
Great little project to try out a new technique!
As a co-host, thank you for joining in the Finish-A-Long ;-)
Thank you, Sandra!