Tag Archives: all about angles

8 Comments

Last Sunday was the beginning of season 10 of Project QUILTING, a series of one-week quilt challenges. I've participated for the past two years and this year I'm a sponsor. The theme for this week's challenge is Hope Springs Eternal. Well... I was out of town for the first 4 days of the one week challenge, and then I had to spend Thursday and Friday making serious progress on a quilt deadline that I'll be posting on my blog tonight. This means I didn't even have time to think too much about this challenge until yesterday.

I had a hard time with this theme. In the end, with 14 hours until the deadline (including overnight... and I needed to sleep) I had hope I could crank out a small quilt. How's that for hope springing eternal? My initial goal was a mug rug, then I decided on placemat sized, and in the end I trimmed it to 18.5" x 18.5". I'll be linking up with less than 15 minutes to spare.

I used a lovely piece of hand dyed fabric from my friend Mel Beach and my Planned Improv: All About Angles technique. After demoing my technique on Wednesday (7 times!) I'm excited to work on some All About Angles projects.

I used two sizes of Aurifil Light Leaf Green (#1147) for this quilt. It was pieced and bound with Aurifil 50wt and quilted with Auriful 80wt. I hadn't used 80wt and really love the fine line it creates. It's certainly quilting that's all about the texture and not the color. I chose a fast motif from my recent class with Christa Watson. It's way fancier than a basic meander, but not much more difficult.

Here's the basic breakdown of how I made the quilt start to finish in under 14 hours.

Saturday
8pm - pull fabric
8:50pm - cut fabric
9:07pm - start sewing
10:50pm - bedtime

Sunday
5:45am - back at the machine
6:20am - finished quilt top 
7am - quilting begins
7:45am - done quilting
8:40 - binding going on
9:25am - photos, then blog post
9:48am - linkup

Congratulations to everyone who finished the challenge! View them all at the Project QUILTING 10.1 linkup. Voting is open, so click over to check out the 124 submissions and vote for your 10 favorites.

 

8 Comments

The thread featured in this post was given to me by Aurifil.

It's the very end of the Fall season of the Blogger's Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy at Amy's Creative Side. My internet came back up with 56 minutes left in the Festival. I figured that was at least enough time to share one of my recent favorites.

I developed my All About Angles Planned Improv technique in June of 2017 and when the Pantone Quilt Challenge came up in the beginning of 2018 I thought it would be a great opportunity to use my technique with a bundle of purple Kona solids that I had in my stash. One of my goals for 2018 was to work more with solids. Here's the palette I worked with.

I finished the quilt top in time to submit it to the "Just the Top" category for the 2018 Pantone Quilt Challenge and was thrilled to receive an award in that category.

It took a few months for me to get back to the project and in August I used the opportunity to try out monofilament thread as my inspiration to finish the quilt with a graffiti quilting free motion mashup. You can read all about my quilting process and experience with Aurifil monofilament thread in this post.

I'm happy to share that this quilt will hang at PIQF in Santa Clara, CA on Oct. 11-14. Linking up to Blogger's Quilt Festival.

6 Comments

Bay Area Modern Quilting hosted a swap for guild members, due at today's meeting. The theme was Mini + Metal. We had to create something that was 6" or smaller... could be a bag, a needle book, pin cushion, mug rug -- the possibilities are endless. And some component of the item/gift had to include metal. This could be part of it's construction, or an addition, like needles in a needle book or pins in a pin cushion.

My head spun with possibilities and I decided this would be a great opportunity for making a zipper pouch with a metal tooth zipper – something I hadn't ever done. (This was a popular choice in the swap!) I decided to size down the small size Open Wide Zipper Pouch by Noodlehead and ordered 8" black zippers with silver nickel teeth and donut zipper pull from Zipit Zippers on Etsy.

I was making for Rhonda and wasn't quite sure about her style. I decided to pick a bold floral print from my stash to drive my color palette. The outer fabrics were all chosen from the floral that I used to line the bag.

My panels were 5" x 8" which was sized down from the small size by Noodlehead. The bag has a 3" box corner. The front panel features my Planned Improv: All About Angles technique. The back was a single cut from The Lovely Hunt Unicorn fabric by Lizzy House from my stash. (Since the bag was so small, the unicorn from the print wasn't included in this project.)

The final details was to create the zipper tab from the Lovely Hunt fabric. I chose to hand stitch it in place with running stitch using a 12wt cotton Aurifil. I always have a bit of a struggle to sew the tab on by machine. With the metal zipper I didn't want to attempt machine stitching.

I love how it turned out, though I might try making a 2.5" box corner if I make this size again. It was so fun to deliver the gift today to Rhonda. :-)

I'm linking up to Brag About Your Beauties.