Tag Archives: baby quilt


The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik and Aurifil.

This month we were asked to use a vintage quilt block as inspiration for our Island Batik Ambassador projects. I considered this challenge an opportunity to use Modern Traditionalism in my design, using a traditional block with some twist to modernize the look of it.

I chose the Antique Tile quilt block to work from. I shared my design process in a previous post, but these digital images show the block I started with and the mockup for the quilt that I made.


My fabrics are all Island Batik Foundations: Bermuda Cherio, Turquoise Small Pointed Floral, Lemon Round Petal Floral, and Cherry Bubbles.

It's nice when my thread collection contains just the right colors for a project. The project was pieced with Aurifil 50wt White (#2024) and quilted with Aurifil 50wt Jade (#4093), Light Lemon (#2110), and Red (#2250). (Ironically, I used Light Lemon to quilt my Modern Traditional Island Batik quilt last year.)

I used a walking foot for the teal lines of quilting and used free motion quilting for my flowers and jagged stipple.

The 36" x 36" quilt was finished with a faced binding. I chose this option so that the lines from my design would extend all the way to the edge.

I used the remnants of my four fabrics to make a color block backing for the quilt.


Please visit the other Island Batik Ambassadors to see their Vintage Reimagined projects from this month.

I'm linking up to Cheryl's first Favorite Finish Monthly Linkup for March. This is my favorite March Finish because I love the colors, the design, and the quilting. I'm also linking up to Brag About Your Beauties and Needle and Thread Thursday. :-)


The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, including products from Aurifil.

Our December Island Batik Ambassador challenge was to make something Whimsical and Wonky. I knew just the project. Ever since I made the Improv Tumbler mini almost two years ago for the first MQG Swap I’ve wanted to make another.

I opted to make use my 10” stack of Bright Paisley Dot. I love the bright rainbow of color! I did all of my cutting with a rotary cutter and no ruler. I started by cutting the squares approximately in half, then I cut 2-3 tumbler blocks per piece. This gave me a colorful pile of wonky tumblers, each approximately 5” tall.

Then I worked on my design wall to set the rough layout. I pieced each row, making adjustments as necessary when they were too wonky. Then I attached the rows with smooth curves.

I walking foot quilted with smooth curves using Aurifil 50wt Light Lemon (#2110), similar to my joining seams, and machine bound with a light neutral. The backing was pieced from my Petting Zoo scraps. My 6-year-old daughter walked with me to the park this afternoon to be my quilt holder. We had a lovely, goofy time.

Updated to add: Whimsical and Wonky Improv Tumbler measures 40" x 38".



Happy New Year!

I'm linking up to Michelle's Beauties Pageant, Wendy's Peacock Party, and TGIFF with Anja.

P.S. This is my 31st blog post this month! Thank you for visiting!


The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, including products from Aurifil and Hobbs.

Our November Island Batik Ambassador challenge was to use log cabins. Log cabin blocks are so versatile. Many of us decided to utilize our 2 1/2" strip precuts. I thought this would be a great opportunity to do just that and brought out my Jungle Cruise strips. This collection is full of color in a variety of prints: tortoise shell, giraffe, snake skin, cheetah, reptile, and fern/leaf. My accompanying yardage was snake skin in hay and giraffe in citrine.

I chose to feature some of the brighter colored 2 1/2" strips with Snake Skin in Hay as my light neutral to contrast. I considered starting with a rectangle in the center of my single large log cabin, but eventually chose to start with an 8 1/2" center square (unfinished). It was once I had added my fourth side to the log cabin that I decided I really did want a rectangular center section. So I chopped off the side to trim down my center piece to (what would have started at) 6 1/2" x 8 1/2". There wasn't anything magical about this size except that the finished dimensions were both multiples of 2, since the 2 1/2" strips would finish at 2" wide.

From this point I worked improvisationally, auditioning colors for the next strips as I went. I had a slightly different vision in mind (which I'll consider for a future project), but I'm pleased with the final composition. It finished at approximately 38" x 40".

I opted to try out Hobbs Tuscany 100% wool batting for the first time with this project. I was a bit concerned that the higher loft than I'm used to would create a problem quilting on my domestic machine, but it was very easy to work with. My quilting all had the same density, but I think I'll be using some of the batting scraps to play around with mixing in some more dense quilting to really make the less quilted areas pop. Compared to my default cotton batting, this quilt is puffier and lighter weight. The wool batting seemed to cause less drag as I pushed the quilt around to do the quilting.

Jungle Cabin was quilted with Aurifil 50wt #2310 Light Beige thread. I opted for ribbon candy in the colored strips and I created a 1-inch grid of wavy lines in the background.

Giraffes are one of my favorite animals. I just love this giraffe print I chose for the back. Sometimes the favorite print going on the back of a quilt is a great way to enjoy a large piece of it.

And you know how I love a machine binding!



Thanks for visiting!

P.S. Kathleen and Laura both opted for super sized log cabins this month, too!