In true form, I've finished my monthly ALYoF goal on the last day of the month. A great big gigantic thank you to Sarah of Berry Barn Designs for her inspiration to do a little selfish sewing this month. This king size quilt top is for our bed, my largest project by far. My goal this month was to finish the quilt top by sewing at least 30 minutes a day. You can see my progress through the month: week 1, week 2, week 3, and the finish below!The pattern is Puzzle Box by Tracey Brookshier. The AWESOME purple ninja fabric is by Robyriker Designs on Spoonflower. I was so appreciative to Elishka when she was willing to edit her design into the correct purples to match my bedroom wall paint. Molli Sparkles helped me find the perfect background fabric (Blueprint Basics by Valori Wells) when he was at Intrepid Thread on his visit to California. Thanks to my sister Jenn for taking these pics of the quilt. I look forward to getting it onto the bed and showing it to you in place once I send it out to be quilted and finish it up. This has certainly been an "it takes a village" kind of project and I really appreciate all the help and encouragement in getting this far. Now to figure out where to have it quilted. Any tips on finding a quilter and questions to ask a quilter are greatly appreciated, as this is my first quilt that I'll be sending out to be quilted.
Linking up to 4x7 Sewing Challenge, ALYoF February finishes, and Stash Bee February Linkup.
The One Where I Actually Finish Some Blocks
I've been primarily working on my king sized February goal this month. Life has been trying it's best to get in the way. I continue to be thankful to Sarah for her 4x7 Sewing Challenge for the month, to keep me focused mostly on the one project (which is hard for me) and for the encouragement to just do that 30 minutes (or whatever I can manage some days) each day, even when I don't feel like it or really don't have the time. I'm thrilled with my progress and have finished 15 of my 36 quilt blocks, with the other 21 of them in progress, assembly line style (go go gadget chain piecing!). This gives me six more days to finish the blocks up, get them pieced together and add on the three borders. It'll be a stretch, but I might just finish the quilt top. (Why'd I chose the shortest month of the year to make a king size quilt!?) This will be the first quilt that I'm sending out to be quilted, so the quilt top will be nearly the "done" stage as far as my work goes, which is even more exciting.
Just keep sewing. Just keep sewing.
Here's a slightly wonky late night pic of how the blocks look together:
I also got these four blocks together this week to finish my IG Rainbow Mini Swap quilt top. You might remember the pattern from my Antioxidant Delight quilt.
Linking up to Sarah's 4x7 Sewing Challenge Week 3 and Thankful Thursday.
I only checked 5 of my 17 (ouch!) goals off my 2014 Q4 Finish Along goal list. I'm still quite pleased as two of those were 8 and 11 years old and one was a twin sized, the largest I've free motion quilted on my domestic machine (with a 7" throat).
So, rolling those forward, reassessing on a few, adding some additional old WIPs, I think this is the whole list... maybe.
- Disney Quilt Swap 2015 (background pieced and template printed)
- Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap (a couple blocks pieced)
- Stellar Wind (the Giant Wonky Star Quilt) (ready to quilt)
- Charm Dash quilt using my purple charm squares (pattern by Ms. Midge)
- Rainbow Mini Swap (first block complete, see below)
- Little Letters in Blues/Greens Quilt (all letters pieced)
- Little Letters in Brights Quilt (all letters pieced)
- Ocean quilt for The Girl (top pieced, but needs applique done)
- 2004 (ugh) Baseball Quilt (some blocks pieced)
- Batik SCVQA philanthropy quilt (sandwiched)
- Roman Stripez with butterfly backing (some blocks pieced)
- Roman Stripez with turtle backing (some blocks pieced)
- The Purple Ninja Quilt (fabric selected)
- Memory House Vol. 1 Quilt (2 houses complete)
- Pirate Quilt (pre-cut fabric selected)
- My safari animal baby quilt (piecing has begun)
- My son's animal quilt (piecing has begun)
- Very Hungry Caterpillar twin sized quilt (fabric and pattern selected)
- Hawaiian lap quilt (fabric and pattern selected)
- Leah Day's Building Blocks Quilt Along (first 3 sets of blocks done)
- Winnie the Pooh Skirt/Shorts for The Girl (fabric selected)
- Envelope quilt (a couple blocks pieced)
- Monster Quilt (first applique block in progress)
- Christmas Mini Quilt (using 4 orphan blocks I somehow acquired)
So, I tried to order these in priority order. Somewhere around #9 this got really hard. My guild is having a UFO swap this month, so maybe I can drop one of these off my list. We'll see.
Here's a glimpse of the last thing to come off of my sewing machine, the first block for my Rainbow Mini Swap (#rainbowminiswap on IG). Linking up to Q1 Finish Along Goals.