Tag Archives: Greenery

10 Comments

My Greenery project was born out of the Pantone Quilt Challenge in 2017 coupled with the Bay Area Modern scrap challenge to utilize squares and rectangles. I finished the quilt top in May 2017, in time to submit to the Just the Top category of the 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge. I’m so excited to have finally finished this quilt, the original inspiration for Planned Improv: Scrappy Squares which I started teaching in 2017.

This project started with a thumbnail sketch and a pile of scraps. I began by cutting all my Greenery scraps into squares. Purple was added by the advice of my friend, Mel. I worked improvisationally on the design wall with my squares and then "made it work" to piece and fill in with background fabrics (also from the scrap bin) to make my first unit. Then I repeated my process to make related units. I initially thought I would make nine, but felt "done" after 7, which resulted in the chosen layout.

I quilted this one on the longarm at Always Quilting. I started with some echo quilting around my scrappy squares. Then I filled in the background with organic, wavy lines. Lastly, I filled each scrappy square section with a boxy meander. I chose three thread colors, a pale green for the background, darker green for the squares, and purple for the center section. There were many stops and starts between switching colors and needing to advance the quilt on the frame. I'm quite pleased with the result, but it was a bit of "beat the clock" at the end of the afternoon to finish up before the shop closed. I underestimated how much time would be spent changing colors.

I made a scrappy binding and piecing the back with any stash fabric close to the color palette. Overall, it's a very scrappy quilt. It finished at approximately 61" x 66".

Thanks for visiting!

I've linked up to the Q4 FAL Finishes Linkup.

10 Comments

I took inspiration from my guild's square and rectangle scrap challenge to design this quilt. I began with a tiny thumbnail sketch and cut all of my green scraps into the largest squares I could. Then I used my design wall to plan the layout of my first slab and filled in around my squares. After the first slab I imposed some additional rules on myself to create similar, but not identical, slabs. This 61.5" x 66.5" quilt made a big dent in my green scraps and used up the majority of my neutral scraps. I'm submitting it for the Just the Top category of the Pantone Quilt Challenge hosted by Bryan House Quilts and No Hats in the house. You can see a bit more of my process in my original post.

I'll begin teaching this technique in workshops this Fall.

I'm linking up to the Just the Tops Pantone Quilt Challenge 2017 Linky Party.

Save

Save

Save