In September, Carole asked us to use time as our inspiration for her blocks. She asked us to use solids only with any shape or image that relates to time. And she chose the stunning tetrad palette of blue-green, red-violet, red-orange, and yellow-green (including recommended Kona suggestions to help us out).
My first thought that I couldn't shake was the idea of time passing as my children grow. I created a "watch me grow" block of sorts where I improv pieced the bodies of the three images and then added needle turn appliqué for the heads.
My second block was a simple timeline. It is meaningful to me because it represents the births (not to scale) of me and my siblings. I'm the oldest by 8 years.
My final block was a simple 4-patch block to represent the found seasons: winter, spring, summer, and fall.
These colors were a joy to work with and I really enjoyed the process of puzzling out my plan to construct the children. Other blocks created in the bee included inspiration from song lyrics, hashmarks, and a clock.
This month we're sewing improv Christmas blocks, but I also need to show you the improv Line blocks I made last month.
Last month, I created blocks for E. A. She asked us "to think about how it feels when someone holds space for you and allows you to be who you are in a place that is safe. Alternatively, you could think about how it feels when you hold space for someone." She asked for abstract blocks created in pairs, with no limit on colors.
These pairs of blocks were created in parallel with each other. I didn't make one block and then copy it. I made two blocks at the same time. Since they are improv you can see slight variations in angles, shapes, and sizes within the block. They each finish at around 12" square.
I worked intuitively with my color choices. In my first blocks I started with scrappy greens and a bold orange. This tied to having big feelings inside. I finished these blocks with light colors, emulating the calm of being able to share authentically with another person.
My second set of blocks once again features a bold color in the center. I thought of these blocks as emulating a hug. I think of pink as the color of love.
This summer I started co-hosting the Quilts Unscripted Bee with a group of 10 quilters. It is an improv quilt bee and every month the host for the month gives us a prompt. These can vary greatly. There might be a limited palette. The prompt might be about a feeling, or a style, or creating something representational.
Sarah Ruiz kicked off our first month in June with a really fun one. She gave us a limited color palette and asked us to use solids. Then she had a sign up for each person to pick some letters of the alphabet so she would end up with one of every letter to make an improv alphabet quilt, with a bit of a ransom note feel. Sarah also provided us with a Pinterest board with many alphabet styles to inspire us. She asked that our letters each have a different style.
I wasn't fast enough to get Q in the signup and ended up picking G, U and Y.
I made my U first, making a couple improv Drunkard's Path blocks to use as the curves.
I implemented my Scrappy Slab technique in building my Y.
And I saved the G for last, probably because I found it most intimidating. I'd been thinking about the ransom note style and knew I wanted to make one letter that looked like it was cut out of a piece of paper, hence the border around the G. I opted for a lower case G so there would be fewer curves to deal with and chose a Drunkard's Path unit for the top of the G. In fact, it was the inner piece remnant from the U above.
You can see more of our bee's blocks on Instagram at #quiltsunscriptedbee. I recently shared my hammock and book blocks. And I have one more month of blocks to catch up on that I'll write about soon.
Thanks for visiting!