Tag Archives: Kona cotton

4 Comments

This summer I started co-hosting the Quilts Unscripted Bee with a group of 10 quilters. It is an improv quilt bee and every month the host for the month gives us a prompt. These can vary greatly. There might be a limited palette. The prompt might be about a feeling, or a style, or creating something representational.

Sarah Ruiz kicked off our first month in June with a really fun one. She gave us a limited color palette and asked us to use solids. Then she had a sign up for each person to pick some letters of the alphabet so she would end up with one of every letter to make an improv alphabet quilt, with a bit of a ransom note feel. Sarah also provided us with a Pinterest board with many alphabet styles to inspire us. She asked that our letters each have a different style.

I wasn't fast enough to get Q in the signup and ended up picking G, U and Y.

I made my U first, making a couple improv Drunkard's Path blocks to use as the curves.

I implemented my Scrappy Slab technique in building my Y.

And I saved the G for last, probably because I found it most intimidating. I'd been thinking about the ransom note style and knew I wanted to make one letter that looked like it was cut out of a piece of paper, hence the border around the G. I opted for a lower case G so there would be fewer curves to deal with and chose a Drunkard's Path unit for the top of the G. In fact, it was the inner piece remnant from the U above.

You can see more of our bee's blocks on Instagram at #quiltsunscriptedbee. I recently shared my hammock and book blocks. And I have one more month of blocks to catch up on that I'll write about soon.

Thanks for visiting!

4 Comments

Merry Christmas to Ellyn!

Her prompt for the bee this month was to use this bright, happy palette to make three improv, pieced blocks approximately 12 1/2" x 12 1/2". She also requested we include a triangle(s) in each block. These Kona colors are Bright Pink, Orange, Duckling, Chartreuse and Jade Green.

I immediately decided that I would do some improv curves. Here's what I came up with.

2 Comments

Earlier this month I shared my newest project. At that point it was a stack of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" pieces. Some progress has been made. I cut out all my Kona Snow background pieces and got everything up on the design wall.

My graph paper "pattern" is meticulously labeled. (You can see the beginning sketch, before labeling, in my previous post.) All of these pieces will go into nine sections before those are combined. I like to chain piece, sewing many seams one after another another without breaking thread. I find this assembly line style piecing to be faster than sewing one seam at a time. Here's my latest batch from this evening.

I use my reference guide to put all the pieces back in their proper places on the design wall once the seams are pressed. Then I repeat the process. I've been through a few rounds of piecing, but still have a long way to go. At least things start to come together faster as the sections get larger. :-)