Tag Archives: lap quilt

10 Comments

The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik, Aurifil, and Hobbs.

Star Light Star Bright was the August theme for the Island Batik Ambassador challenge for those of us who didn't participate in this month's Beat the Heat Blog Hop.

My project features the Victoria and Albert collection by Island Batik and coordinates with my Starstruck Pillow from last year.

When I choose a thread color for quilting, I like to audition each three by unwinding a portion of the thread and laying each single strand of thread across various areas of the the quilt to see how the color plays on light and dark fabrics. For this quilt I considered Aurifil 50wt Light Sand (#2000), Light Avocado (#2886), and Champagne (#2105), three of my recent acquisitions from Aurifil's Pastel Collection. My daughter and I ultimately chose the Light Avocado. (I match my bobbin thread to my top thread for quilting.)

These sawtooth star blocks were constructed from a 10" stack to create squares and half square triangles for 16" finished blocks. The quilt measures 48" x 48".

I used a floral FMQ motif to complement the floral prints in the fabrics. My backing fabrics included Ivy, Sterling, Glacier, and Shark, all from Island Batik's Basics.

I bound the quilt using my machine binding technique. I chose Aurifil 50wt Very Dark Grass Green (#2890) to match my Ivy binding fabric.

 

 

10 Comments

My Greenery project was born out of the Pantone Quilt Challenge in 2017 coupled with the Bay Area Modern scrap challenge to utilize squares and rectangles. I finished the quilt top in May 2017, in time to submit to the Just the Top category of the 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge. I’m so excited to have finally finished this quilt, the original inspiration for Planned Improv: Scrappy Squares which I started teaching in 2017.

This project started with a thumbnail sketch and a pile of scraps. I began by cutting all my Greenery scraps into squares. Purple was added by the advice of my friend, Mel. I worked improvisationally on the design wall with my squares and then "made it work" to piece and fill in with background fabrics (also from the scrap bin) to make my first unit. Then I repeated my process to make related units. I initially thought I would make nine, but felt "done" after 7, which resulted in the chosen layout.

I quilted this one on the longarm at Always Quilting. I started with some echo quilting around my scrappy squares. Then I filled in the background with organic, wavy lines. Lastly, I filled each scrappy square section with a boxy meander. I chose three thread colors, a pale green for the background, darker green for the squares, and purple for the center section. There were many stops and starts between switching colors and needing to advance the quilt on the frame. I'm quite pleased with the result, but it was a bit of "beat the clock" at the end of the afternoon to finish up before the shop closed. I underestimated how much time would be spent changing colors.

I made a scrappy binding and piecing the back with any stash fabric close to the color palette. Overall, it's a very scrappy quilt. It finished at approximately 61" x 66".

Thanks for visiting!

I've linked up to the Q4 FAL Finishes Linkup.

14 Comments

One of my favorite parts of being in a quilt guild (or two!) is attending quilt retreats. The first weekend in November I spend the weekend in the Marin Headlands with SCVQA. It has a spacious sewing space, the food is delicious, and the views are amazing!

The majority of projects that I brought for the weekend were pieces that I wanted to finish in time to share at my Nov. 10 lecture at Amador Valley Quilters. Two of these were finished at the retreat. (The other two I made great progress on and will be sharing them on the blog soon!) I shared my Wonder Full quilt tops back in June. They use my Planned Improv: All About Angles technique in a more regular unit construction. I really like how I took two piles of identically constructed units and made two quilts with such different overall compositions.

These two were the first and third quilts I longarm quilted myself. I've been renting time at Always Quilting in San Mateo for free hand longarm quilting. The pink quilt was my very first one. I opted for a floral and leaf design with large scale motifs and lots of space.

On my second trip to the longarm I quilted the navy quilt. I opted for three different motifs and alternated the designs in each diagonal strip. This led to a challenge as I couldn't complete a strip without advancing the quilt on the frame which resulted in numerous starts and stops. That said, I'm thrilled with the overall look of the quilting. Check out that texture on the back! Between this one and Fandangle Scrappy Squares I am now hooked on the longarm.

 

All About Angles is my latest Planned Improv workshop. I'm currently working on a mostly blue version with Cherrywood fabrics, using smaller units. And you may have seen my Pantone Ultra Violet version which I finished this summer.

 

The second night of our retreat I took advantage of the opportunity to go on a short hike with a few other quilters to watch the sunset. The weather was perfect.

Thanks for visiting! Happy quilting!

I've linked up to the Q4 FAL Finishes Linkup.