Tag Archives: mug rug

24 Comments

My friend Wendy was hosting the Disney Mug Rug Swap on Instagram and I just couldn't resist joining in. Easy peasy: Buy a mug, make a mug rug, include one extra. My partner listed a variety of Disney interests and I dialed in on Finding Dory, especially after I found this adorable mug.

I immediately visualized an improv pieced ocean for Dory (and friends?) and eventually decided on purchasing a little bit of yardage of Finding Dory fabric by Camelot from Fat Quarter Shop. I started by shopping my stash for an ocean fabric pull.

Then I went for it with my first improv curved piecing. It all went together pretty well. The batik (second from top in the finished piece) was a little tricky, since it doesn't have as much stretch to it. I simply overlapped the fabrics I was piecing and freehand rotary cut a curve through both at the same time, then I eased them together with a 1/4" seam allowance as I machine pieced them together.

Generally I press my seams open when piecing, but this is one of those times that pressing open didn't make sense. I pressed to the blue on my first seam, so I just continued pressing up on all my seams. Here's the finished piece, front and back, before I trimmed it down.

At this point it was more placemat sized than mug rug sized, so I had to trim it down. I decided on vertical so I could arrange my characters in a way that they mug wouldn't cover them up. I trimmed down to just over 8" x 11".

My next step was to add the characters. I used fusible web to attach Dory, Nemo and Hank, then stitched around the edge of each.

Then I went to town quilting. I used my walking foot and quilted smooth curves to complement my piecing using a variety of blue threads (all 50 wt. Aurifil).

I was able to find a piece of remnant binding (from Finally) that was large enough to avoid a scrappy binding and worked with my color palette. I think this quilt would have been lovely with a faced binding, but I just didn't have the time to learn a new skill at this stage of the process. :-)

I opted to back the quilt with the licensed fabric, but I placed it in the horizontal direction. I liked the repeat better that way, and this gives Lisa options for a vertical or horizontal mug rug.

For my extra, I opted to make a large Open Wide Zippered Pouch (free tutorial by Noodlehead). (Shown in first picture.)

 

Lisa and I happened to be assigned each other for the swap. Here's the super generous package she sent me. She chose a nifty mug that has an electric mug warmer to go with it and made me a bag and a keychain. Plus she decorated the tote box and sent a Mickey Mouse raglan t-shirt pattern plus a bunch of other little goodies. So sweet of her!

 

Thanks for visiting! I'm linking up to TGIFF, Finish it Up Friday, and Needle and Thread Thursday.

Linking up to the Q4 Finishes Link-Up. See my Q4 list here.

8 Comments

Way back in January I participated in round three of the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap on Instagram and ended up with this extra block. I hadn't paper pieced in quite some time and loved how easily these adorable one went together. I thought it would be great to make a bunch more to make myself a quilt. So this little block sat in a box for quite a while. It’s on my lengthy WIP list and I really want to get my list down to a much more manageable number, so I decided to finish off this single block as a mini quilt/mug rug. I might have to make another for a larger quilt later, but I’m much happier to have this block finished and be able to enjoy it now!

Thanks for visiting!

I'm linking up to Adrienne's 2015 Q4 Finish Along post. See all my Q4 goals here.

6 Comments

It's a little finish, but it's a finish!

This was my primary August goal. In order to prepare for finishing The Girl's cuddle quilt, I wanted to learn how to do turned edge machine applique. Lorna pointed me to this great tutorial at Moda Bake Shop.

Last night was my guild meeting, so that provided the motivation necessary to finish this little project up before the meeting. It's a 6" by 8.5" mug rug. Not familiar with mug rugs? Think large coaster or small placemat. I think we'll be using it as a snack mat for the kids. If I make another one for our house I could use the pair as a place for the kids to each keep their water cup for the day. It amazes me how many cups the kids each go through each day. ;-)

I got halfway into quilting the fish and decided I wasn't sure where I was going. I wanted to do a pattern that showed scales, but I wasn't sure how realistic I was going for in my details.

Back to the sketchpad and I decided on something like this:

I'm not 100% happy with it as a whole, but the goal of this project was to learn a new skill and I did do that, as well as got to do a little free motion quilting. Overall, I'm calling it a success. And I'm fired up about working on The Girl's quilt. It'll have many more pieces, so I'm thinking it'll continue to be a slow-progress kind of quilt, but at least I know what I'm doing now.

This quilt, named Goldfish (yep, no help from The Husband on this one) measures 6" by 8.5". All the fabrics came from my stash and the binding was leftover from The Purple Quilt.

I forgot to add the quilt label before I quilted the fish, so it got squeezed into the corner. It's fine, but suboptimal in my opinion.

Here are a couple close up shots of my quilting. I'm quite pleased with this part.
And my helpers:

Linking up to the A Lovely Year of Finishes August Finishes Party and Sew Cute Tuesday.

I'm linking up to Finish Along Quarter 3 Finish Party. Here is my full list of Q3 Finish Along Goals.