Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs has kicked off her latest mystery quilt. I love a mystery quilt and I especially love the Meadow Mist Community. I may not really have the time for this, but I couldn't resist shopping my stash last week to pull fabrics to participate. I've appreciated the pacing of monthly clues in Cheryl's previous mystery quilts and look forward to giving this one a go.
I'll be using Kona Black for my background. (I'll need to buy more.) And these three prints will be my fabrics A, B, and C. I'm leaning toward the mustard for fabric A since it's the smallest fabric requirement of the three. I'll be choosing border, binding, and backing fabrics later. I'll make an effort to choose those from stash also, but I'm itching to add a stripe to this in some way and I don't think I have one that coordinates.
If you've never participated in a mystery quilt along, this is a great one. And Cheryl lets you take a peek if you'd prefer an un-mystery quilt. ;-)
I've linked up to the Mosaic Mystery July Fabric Linkup. Click over to see the many beautiful palettes people will be using.
Some finishes are a long time coming. I participated in Cheryl's 2015-2016 Midnight Mystery Quilt and had a finished quilt top in March 2016 at the end of the the quilt along. My projects without deadlines often get stuck at this stage. In April 2017 I had it quilted, then it sat folded up in a pile... with the binding all made and ready to attach. Projects with deadlines, including challenges and patterns, took priority. Well... I finally attended my first sew day with Bay Area Modern last Saturday and brought my mystery quilt along. It was a rocky start with frustration and seam ripping, but I managed to get the binding on that day.
A little recap on my project. The mystery called for four fabrics and in order to pull my fabric entirely from my stash I chose for each of those colors to be scrappy. Orange and pink were chosen because at the time they were the most plentiful (and least used) colors in my stash. I chose the blue and light grey to round out the palette.
Tami quilted it with the Modern Curves panto. I asked her to load the quilt sideways so the waves would be vertical on my quilt.
The quilt is backed in Tula Pink Mini Owl in Pacific, one of the prints I used on the front. It's bound in Kona orange... except for one section of the right edge which used one of the orange prints from the quilt top.
I'm so glad to finally have it finished and am thrilled to add it to the pile of quilts that my family enjoys. It's sure to be used to make a fort in no time!
One of my favorite parts of making a mystery quilt is seeing how everyone else's versions turn out. Check out the Midnight Mystery Quilt Reveal Parade.
I'm participating in Cheryl's Meadow Mystery quilt along. By "participating" I've been mostly "watching everyone else make progress sewing for the past 3 1/2 months while I do nothing."
In September, when the first sewing instructions came out, I cut out all my fabric (only a month behind schedule). This week I finally sewed some of that fabric together. So far, I've finished the September, October, and November sewing steps. And I'm about a third of the way done with the December sewing. With any luck I'll finish those blocks up today and switch gears to a couple free motion quilting projects that I'd like to finish in the next week or so.
First, September's instructions were all about HSTs. I made 56 HSTs using the two-at-a-time method. 32 of them went together in these four colorful blocks and the other 24 (butterflies/white, not all shown) were awaiting further instruction. I'm so pleased with having chosen the Tula print for the variations in color it brings to the project. My last mystery quilt was scrappy for each set of fabric. This time I stuck to one fabric for each set, but this print brings a bit of that scrappy quality that I love.
October's instructions were to make all the hourglass and half hourglass blocks (52 total!). You can better see here that my white is actually a white on white print with small flowers.
November's instructions were to create the 16 flying geese and 16 square in a square units. I'm a little concerned that my square in a square units don't quite have a quarter inch seam allowance off all the points. Hopefully I don't lose too many points from my inner squares once these are pieced into larger units. I totally could have ripped out all my stitching before I trimmed them so that I could fix my seam allowance, but it seems this was one of those "done is better than perfect" moments. ;-)
Today I used a bunch of those units from September and October's sewing to start making these blocks. There are nine in all to make in December. I have three more to sew of each of the top blocks. I had all nine blocks up on the design wall and what stood out to me is that this quilt is going to be a lot of white. Perhaps that should have been apparent when there were 2 1/4 yards of my white fabric and 3 1/4 yards of my four other fabrics combined. But it didn't really hit me until today. I have never made a quilt with so much white fabric. That said, I'm excited to see it coming together. I'm eager to see what January holds for this project. It's feeling great to be nearly caught up. Note to self: start piecing the backing fabric. I think I'll use remnants of these fabrics and other purples.