Tag Archives: orange

6 Comments

As I reached the end of my 100 Day Project (July - October 2020) I realized that my series of mini quilts was one color short of a rainbow. Therefore, I had no choice but to make my final improv log cabin purple. There weren't many days left, so I opted for quick and easy. I hadn't made a quarter log cabin yet, so that's what I created, alternating black and white prints with purple prints.

I chose two filler motifs for the free motion quilting.

 

In 100 days, I completed these five mini quilts, start to finish. Each is 16 1/2" x 16 1/2".

 

And the full 2020 series:

I chose the log cabin due to the ubiquitous nature of the traditional log cabin. I love the variety of styles achievable with the log cabin. I feel like this series could continue indefinitely.

You can read all about the other quilts in the series here:

This is day 18 of the 31-Day Blog Writing Challenge with Cheryl.

During my Summer 100 Day Project to make Improv Log Cabin mini quilts I stumbled upon the idea to made a spiral in my log cabin.

This log cabin was precisely pieced. I sketched on graph paper to make my plan. Then got to work.

I decided to combine my spiral plan with orange scrappy slab. (I think I had a piece of orange scrappy slab started that I was able to build on to).

First think was to cut up my scrappy slab. I used 2 1/2" strips, trimmed down to size for each log.

My palette was limited to orange, black, and white, and I chose a black on black print for my contrasting spiral. These strips were cut 1 1/2" wide.

When piecing scrappy slab to neighboring fabric, sometimes it is unreasonable to press seams open given the bulk of the seam. These two photos show one area where the tiny strip of light orange will disappear in the seam, creating bulk.

And this shows where the tiny strip of orange and white print will be visible on the front, but required I press the seam to one side. You can see this super skinny strip of mostly white fabric vertically in the photo below, just inside the left most vertical strip of black near the upper corner. One of my favorite parts of piecing with scrappy slab is where these tiny slivers of fabric show.

Tada! Quilt top.

I used my favorite filler, a zig zag meander (which I also used in my red Improv Log Cabin), combined with echo quilting in the black logs. I actually spiraled in and then out all in one trip. Then I bound it in my solid Black Kona.

My quilt finished at 16 1/2" x 16 1/2".

You can read all about the other quilts in the series here:

 

This is day 7 of the 31-Day Blog Writing Challenge with Cheryl.

4 Comments

My son and I are working on a little scrap sewing project. The first step of our project was to sort through all of my bags of scraps. (My scraps are currently housed by color in gallon zip lock bags.) It's a bit of an "I Spy" project, so we wanted to pull any interesting scraps that had fun pictures on them. In a few cases, we pulled a piece of interesting fabric from my stash, like those awesome giraffes that I haven't used anywhere yet. We're piecing them together in monochromatic blocks which are rounded out with any other scraps in that color. You'll see from these scrap blocks that the majority of my stash (and scraps) are blenders, so most of my fabrics read as one color.

I had previously finished an orange block.

 

In the last couple days my son (age 8) has been itching to sew. He picked out some of the yellow and green scraps, trimmed and created the layout of each block and did all the machine sewing to piece these blocks. I assisted by pressing seams and trimming edges where necessary to have a straight edge to sew.

 

These blocks are each 8 1/2" unfinished. I just love working with scraps from previous projects. The orange butterflies are from an Pretty Ditty Apron I made as a gift last year. One of the orange blenders was from the Midnight Mystery quilt. The yellow alphabet fabric was from the Text Me swap I participated in. A couple of the yellow fabrics were scraps from one of my favorite early projects, Candy Shoppe, and the yellow brick fabric was used on the Wizard of Oz quilt I made for my nephew. My son used that green print on the left edge in the Ocean Quilt he made for my daughter and the turtles are on the back of his first quilt, Jungle of Animals. Scrap projects are full of memories.