Last year, Bernie from Needle and Foot had a series of blogger bundles featuring fabrics from her shop. I curated this bundle of five fabrics to kickoff her series in January 2018, and in December I still had only made two of the four blocks I designed for my bundle.
I participated in Miss Love's Finishing School for Winter session in January 20 through March 16 of this year. We each identified eight projects for the eight weeks which we wanted to make progress on. I previously shared that I put my Swoon project in two of the slots. This baby quilt project was one of the other projects I identified that I successfully met the goal of progress which I'd set for myself, in this case two more blocks and a finished quilt top.
It's always exciting for me to move a project into the "finished quilt top" category, though they often get stuck there. How would you quilt this quilt?
The products featured in this post were given to me by Island Batik and Aurifil.
This month's Island Batik theme was Starstruck. We were tasked with creating anything featuring stars.
I opted to use my Victoria and Albert 10" stack to create simple, large scale sawtooth stars. This fabric collection is a lovely floral collection with a great variety of values. I split my 20 fabrics into lights and darks and pieced ten large blocks.
Nine of my blocks went into a lap size quilt top and the tenth block was quilted into a finished pillow.
Here's a bit of a closeup showing the four motifs of quilting (in four different Aurifil 50wt colors) I chose for the pillow.
I used a bit of leftover fabric from a different collection for the back of my pillow.
Thanks for visiting!
At Spring Quilt Market I connected with the designers at Sweet Bee Designs. This resulted in Lizzie Clark reaching out to invite me to participate in the Blog Hop for the release of her new fabric line, Wonder Full. It’s a lovely floral line with rich jewel tones and pretty pinks. I'm happy to be sharing two quilt tops with you.
The first thing I noticed when I received the bundle was how much I enjoyed the seven monochromatic pinks together. When I pulled those aside, what remained was the rich jewel tones: the navy/magenta/olive set of fabrics I used for my first quilt top.
In each project I chose a variation of my Planned Improv: All About Angles technique. This is a little more structured than my previous pieces as I altered the technique a bit to be more friendly for using one-sided fabric.
Once I created the units, I used my design wall to audition layouts. I initially planned for a straight layout, but thought a vertical shift in every other column would be interesting.
Then I tried a couple with the blocks placed in alternating directions.
In the end, I really liked the vertical shift layout and also the nine-patch design. I stuck with the vertical shift layout for this first quilt top, which finished at approximately 41" x 46".
Then I used the pinks to whip up a second quilt top. I love that these two projects show the versatility of the initial units. They original units were identically pieced. They vary in placement and the pink sections were trimmed down. This project is 35" x 35".
Thank you for visiting! I’ll update the list of participants with links to their blog posts as they are available . You can also check back on Lizzie’s kickoff post.
6/25 Sarah Goer at Sarah Goer Quilts - you are here!
6/26 Becky Vandenberg at Be So Crafty
6/27 Becca Plymale @sunflowerseams
6/28 Stephanie Jacobson at Steph Jacobson
6/29 Allison Dutton at Allison Sews
6/30 Andy Knowlton at A Bright Corner
7/1 Lissa LaGreca at Lovingly Lissa
7/2 Jennifer Strauser at Dizzy Quilter
7/3 Sherry Shish at Powered By Quilting