I had such a great time making my project for Project QUILTING 11.2 that I knew I wanted to turn it into a series. I held back from starting a second one before this past Sunday in case I could make it work for PQ 11.3. Low and behold, I could! So I chose Kona Cerise (the February 4 Kona Color of the Day) as my starting point with a vague plan to make an improv log cabin with Cerise, white on cerise prints, and black and white prints. And I would work in triangles to the piecing so I could include it in my Show Me Something with Triangles linkup this month. I decided my hearts for the PQ 11.3 Put a Heart on It challenge would come in the quilting.
Then after I started piecing on Tuesday morning, Laura of Slice of Pi Quilts reached out to see if I could host TGIFF this week. I thought for a second. Sure! I'll just get this quilt completely finished and posted in the next day and a half, no problem! I finished stitching on the binding just after midnight last night, leaving me this morning to photograph and write it up. This may be the earliest in the week I've ever finished a Project QUILTING challenge! Scroll down for the TGIFF linkup.
I like for a project to be a twofer or a threefer, if possible. This one has worked out to be a six-fer! (A new record for me!)
- Project QUILTING 11.3 Put a Heart on It project
- Second in a series of Improv Log Cabin variations (see the first on here)
- Show Me Something with Triangles (my monthly linkup)
- Class sample for my Improv Log Cabins workshop
- Used a Kona color of the day (from their 2020 wall calendar)
- TGIFF finish (see linkup below)
When I began I didn't have a plan for the placement of fabrics and colors. My last quilt had a less organized structure, but this one fell into a pattern of light and dark. Unlike my last quilt, I also preserved the same direction of my piecing (adding pieces in a counter-clockwise pattern. I chose to piece in triangles to some of my strips. (This makes the project fit my Show Me Something with Triangles linkup theme.) They also follow a counter-clockwise pattern of placement.
My initial fabric pull included two small spools of Aurifil 50wt. Red Plum (#1100) was the perfect color, but I didn't have much left. So I also chose Light Magenta (#2588). The majority of the quilting was done with the Red Plum and I swapped to Light Magenta once I ran out of Red Plum. I used Light Magenta in my bobbin for the entire quilt since I didn't have a Red Plum bobbin. (Curious, very curious.)
I used another fat quarter from my stash for the backing and two corner triangles for easy hanging (label on one).
I had just enough remnant solid black binding. Score! I'm not sure I'll stick with solid black for the whole series, but it is a nice, unifying detail. Machine binding with Aurifil 50wt Black (#2692).
My quilt finished at 16.5" x 16.5", another detail I'm keeping constant for this series.
Thank you for visiting!
Please share your Friday Finish in the linkup below and be sure to hop around to view what everyone else has been up to this week! Share a link to this page so your readers can find the list and explore what others have made. Thanks for visiting!!