Tag Archives: UFO Challenge

18 Comments

Begun in late 2015, when my son was 5, I am so relieved to have finally finished his bed quilt. And it's a big one. This twin sized quilt measures 72" x 90". The pattern is Fat Quarter Fizz by the Fat Quarter Shop.

The curtains are from before he was born. They matched his baby quilt.

I'm glad that I used the blue on the back so when he's tired of Very Hungry Caterpillar he can use the reverse side up. Fabric is all Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, made by Andover.

It's quilted with large square spirals with oval spirals in the center using Aurifil 50wt Marrakesh Variegated (#3817). I machine bound with the same thread.

I finished a much smaller version of this quilt back in 2016.

This was my UFO project chosen (#2) from my All People Quilt 2020 UFO Challenge list. I'm linking up to One Monthly Goal January Finish List. I wrote about this project in my OMG Goal post at the beginning of the month.

I'm also linking up to the Beauties Pageant and TGIFF.

12 Comments

At last year's QuiltCon I took an awesome Intermediate Improv class with Rossie Hutchinson. One of my projects that resulted from that class is this Wonky Cross quilt. It was chosen this month (#12) for the APQ UFO Challenge.

The blocks are created in pairs. I completed eight blocks in class. At some point I added a second fabric pull to the project that I thought coordinated well. Now I'm up to 34 blocks. I have no specific plans on number of blocks/rows or overall finished size. We'll see where this takes me this month.

January and February both resulted in finished quilt tops for the OMG UFO challenge projects. I'm hoping I'll get through the quilting step as well on this one this month!

I'm linking up to the OMG February Goal Setting Link Up.

10 Comments

Another month, another finished quilt top.

I started the month with five finished quilt blocks from 18 months ago, originally intended for a mini quilt like my Cotton + Steel Mini Swap quilt. I decided I was less excited about a mini quilt and opted for creating fifteen more blocks to go with my original five. (This is where I mention that I realized this morning after finishing all fifteen blocks that I sewed them the wrong direction. In the end I decided the wild prints made my mistake not so noticeable. And done is better than perfect. Moving on.) With straight set blocks, this would bring my project to about 32" x 40". I cut all fifteen blocks, got organized on my trusty fast food tray, and set to chain piecing (and Netflix).

Like the first five blocks, my remaining fifteen blocks were made in sets of five. This photo shows five blocks in each row, created from five 10" squares. Each fabric is in each position once in the row. Since I was working in more blue and green with my additional blocks, I shuffled these all around for my final layout.

With a trip to QuiltCon, supervising some remodel work, and four other quilt finishes this month I had to settle for a finished top for my #8 UFO and One Monthly Goal project for February. Here's the finished quilt top.

I'm linking up to the February OMG Finish post.