Ombré HST Quilt Pattern

Inspired by a quilt that my friend Mary shared with me from Pinterest, I decided to design an Ombré HST quilt mathematically. This was the result.

I chose to use a gradient of eight different values, numbered 1-8 from lightest to darkest. I began by drawing a 7 by 9 rectangle in my graph notebook and randomly adding diagonal lines in each square. 63 squares meant 126 triangles, so dividing that by 8 different values, there should be 15.75 triangles of each value. I used six of my values 16 times each, and two of them 15 times each, filling in the triangles somewhat randomly while using the lower numbers more frequently at the top of the quilt and the higher numbers more frequently at the bottom of the quilt. The last numbers I filled in were 4 and 5.

Knowing that it would be easiest to make HSTs two at a time, I counted up my pairings and found that seventeen combinations were used an odd number of times (meaning that two at a time HSTs would not be very efficient). Seventeen was the perfect number of squares to add one extra row and one extra column to my design, so my design became 10 rows of 8 HSTs. My final adjustment was to make sure that I had used each value an equal number of times. Then I converted my numbers to the graphic above.

Make Your Own Quilt

This design can be made by choosing eight solids (or blenders or prints if you wish) in a variety of values. Tip: Use the black and white option on your camera phone to view the values of your fabrics; this way you can ensure contrast and verify that you have a range of values. Cut out ten squares of each of the eight fabrics. Choose your finished size of HSTs and cut the squares one inch larger. Create two at a time HSTs and trim to 1/2" larger than your finished size. Want a baby quilt? Use a fat quarter of each fabric*. Cut 5" squares and trim HSTs to 4 1/2" for a 32" x 40" finished quilt. Want a throw quilt? Use a half yard of each fabric. Cut 8" squares and trim HSTs to 7 1/2" for a 56" x 70" finished quilt. (Scroll to the bottom of this post for a calculator to make any size quilt.) Use the list below for cutting and piecing and the diagram that follows for block placement to create your version of my design. Or go random and use your design wall to audition the layout of your design. Have fun!

(*One option for creating this quilt in a baby quilt size is to choose a Kona fat quarter bundle. I like these color options: Lush Lagoon, Sky Gazer, Powder Room, and Lavender Fields. You could  use the extra fat quarters as part of the backing.)

Label swatches of your fabrics #1-8, in order by value, lightest to darkest. Cut ten squares from each of your eight fabrics. Make the following 80 HSTs.

using 1 square of each value, create 2 HSTs (24 total from this section)
1-5 (example, use one value 1 square and one value 5 square to make 2 HSTs)
1-6
1-7
2-5
2-6
2-7
3-4
3-6
3-7
4-6
4-7
6-8

using 2 squares of each value, create 4 HSTs (32 total from this section)
1-2 (example, use two value 1 squares and two value 2 square to make 4 HSTs)
1-3
2-4
3-8
4-8
5-7
6-7
7-8

using 3 squares of each value, create 6 HSTs (24 total from this section)
1-4 (example, use three value 1 squares and three value 4 squares to make 6 HSTs)
2-3
5-6
5-8

Like it in grey? Try these Kona solids: (1) Silver, (2) Ash, (3) Iron, (4) Pewter, (5) Steel, (6) Coal, (7) Charcoal, (8) Black.

Make Your Version Any Size
Use the handy slider below to choose what size you'll cut your initial squares. Trim to the size indicated for a finished quilt in the indicated size.

Cut 4" squares. Trim HSTs to 3.5" squares.

Finished quilt will be 24.5" by 30.5”. Finished blocks will be 3" squares.

My February 8th newsletter has four great palettes to use with this pattern.

I'm linking up to:
Tips and Tutorials Tuesday
Linky Tuesday

SaveSaveSaveSave

39 thoughts on “Ombré HST Quilt Pattern

1. Mary

What a great tutorial! I will definitely be using it and have already ordered my fabric. I plan to get my fabric cut in March and the quilt top sewn together in April. Thanks for all the work you put into writing this tutorial. Take care, Mary.

1. sarah

Post author

Thanks, Yvonne. Anything I can make into a number game is a win for me. I used algebra for a recent quilt to maximize background area using the limited amount of fabric I had available. ;-)

1. sarah

Post author

Thank you, Anja. I think the design wall is wonderful for throwing blocks up to create a random design, but you can just end up tweaking a design forever. I think it would be fun to play with computer generated numbers for true randomness.

2. Gerre Davis

Sarah, I'm so happy to meet you and welcome you to our guild. Your work is amazing and I will definitely use this tutorial in the future. Thanks for posting this!

1. sarah

Post author

Thank you, Gerre. I had a great time at the meeting and I'm excited about everything the guild is doing. I look forward to seeing your Ombré HST quilt! :-)

3. This is great Sarah , it really removes the element of chance from just mixing up the colours . Great tip too to use the camera like that

4. Emma

This is just what I have been looking for! Thank you so much. What size was your finished quilt? I would like to make a twin size quilt but wasn't quite sure of sizing compared to yours. Thanks again!

E.

1. sarah

Post author

Hi Emma. You're welcome! I included measurements for a baby or a throw. For a 68" x 85" twin you could cut 9 1/2" squares to begin with and trim your HSTs to 9" for 8 1/2" finished squares. Another option would be to go a bit bigger for more length and then leave off one column so it doesn't get too wide. (Maybe use those HSTs for a pillow, or on the back of the quilt). I'd love to see what you decide on. Please share pictures of your project! And let me know if you have more questions.

5. Kathy

Oh, this is perfect! I am going to try to see if I have enough blues in my stash for a batik baby quilt. I always feel like I tweak forever when just using the design wall. This pattern looks great and well balanced and pleasing to the eye. Thank you for sharing!

1. sarah

Post author

Thank you, Kathy! I know what you mean. It's so easy to keep tweaking a design when it's on the design wall. I would love to see your quilt once it's finished. Please send me pictures!

6. Sara E

Thank you so much! I have been wanting to do an ombre quilt but was not sure where to start. I usually make up my own patterns but I will be following yours for sure. Thanks!

7. Talk about icing on the cake, I love the slider tool you have included to customize how big to cut and trim squares for HSTs. Super handy!!!

1. sarah

Post author

Thank you, Mary! Now I kind of want to make it in every size. I may make a tiny one. Now to decide on the colors!

8. I don't know how I missed this when it first posted but I am glad you referred back to it in the newsletter. This is really cool. Pinning for my "I want to make someday" list!

1. sarah

Post author

I'm glad you like it! Be sure to share pictures when you get around to making yours. Any idea what colors you'll use?

9. Paula kennedy

Thank you for his awesome pattern ! I want to make a crib quilt in Red ,white , pink and blue
    ,how would you suggest I choose fabric , as in two values of each color, since there are eight ... will this give me enough change in the value for the effect ?
    I am passing this in to friends ... a great pattern and instructions !

1. sarah

Post author

Thank you so much, Paula. Sorry for the delay in responding. You could definitely use these colors. White would be your #1. Then you can use pinks, blues and reds in different value. Take a black and white photo of your fabrics or use the black and white filter on your phone to look at the fabrics to make sure they have differences in values, and that you have them in order lightest to darkest. I'd try for:
      1 - white
      2 - light pink
      3 - light blue
      4 - medium light pink
      5 - medium blue
      6 - medium dark red
      7 - dark blue
      8 - dark red

10. Barb Branchfield

Just ordered the 8 aqua colors to make a queen size quilt. What kind of quilting design did you use on the finished quilt? Any pictures of finished quilt? Thanks for the great ombré design!

1. sarah

Post author

Thanks, Barb! Your quilt will be lovely. I'd love to see pictures! Please check out Mary's finished blue ombre quilt. As for quilting, I think there are so many options with this pattern. An all over motif would work well, and you could do something like Mary used or any favorite design. I think it would be fun with vertical matchstick quilting or crosshatch on the diagonal. Have fun! The aqua palette is so pretty!

11. BiDo

1000 Dank für dieses tolle Tutorial - ich liebe es! Habe es schon in mehreren Farbkombinationen geplant 😃

12. Dee Bartelme

Thank you Sarah for your wonderful, easy to follow quilt pattern. My Grandson and his fiancee have chosen your pattern to make a wedding quilt for them. I am so excited to do this pattern of yours and they are so excited to receive it. Thank you again.

1. sarah

Post author

You are welcome! I'm honored that they've chosen my design. I hope you'll share photo with me when it's done. Thanks for the message, Dee!