Project QUILTING 9.2: Triangulation

It's week two for Project QUILTING. Voting is now open. This week's theme of Triangulation has so many possibilities. So many that I think the options are a little overwhelming. Last challenge I made a list of about a dozen options and picked one. This week I just kept thinking about more (and bigger) possibilities. And too bad I didn't make this one this week!

I've set myself some goals for my design work, and I'm trying to keep those goals and my plan to work small for these one-week challenges in mind when choosing my project for the week. I also happen to have another deadline this week. So, I had to keep dissuading myself from ideas that would be a bit too much work. I landed on some pieced equilateral triangles and decided to use them to make a small gift for a lovely friend who I was seeing today for her birthday. My plan was set by Monday night, and I finished my project with some late night sewing Tuesday evening.

 

I decided to make the Noodlehead Open Wide Zippered Pouch. I've made it numerous times and it's a great tutorial and a fast make. For this challenge I decided I'd work in the triangles with piecing on the front of the bag. But then I got a little bit paralyzed with indecision with regards to the fabric choices. I decided this would be an excellent opportunity to make a small dent in my box of mini charm squares and chose this pack of ColorWorks microchips from Northcott, a giveaway I received at QuiltCon.

I cut the biggest equilateral triangles I could from these 2 1/2" squares using the 60 degree angle on my ruler. They were about 2 1/4" on each side. Once I decided to use the solid rainbow for my triangles, I easily decided on a couple black and white prints to pair them with.

I arranged my fifteen triangles in rainbow order and pieced them in a row, adding my black on white print to the ends of the row so the strip would reach the full width of my panel.

This is the largest size from the tutorial, and I like to line these big ones with fusible fleece, Pellon 987F (affiliate link), so they stand up nicely on their own. I chose a light print from my stash to line the bag. The finished pouch is about 8 1/2" tall and has a 14" zipper.

 

Voting is open. Check out what everyone made and vote for your ten favorites! Mine is #16. Made in San Jose, California.

16 thoughts on “Project QUILTING 9.2: Triangulation

    1. sarah

      Post author

      Thank you, Bernie. I really enjoy seeing what everyone makes. The fact that there are prizes is just gravy. ;-)

      Reply
    1. sarah

      Post author

      Totally. Part of the joy of challenges for me is there being some limit to the endless design options. Thank you, Yvonne.

      Reply
  1. I was just looking at those 'microchips' the other day. I love the way you used them! You have given me some ideas rather than just thinking "ugh, those small things are so hard to use." <-- This is my whiney voice, which we both know is wrong and just whiney most of the time. ;-)

    Great job. Love the project.

    Reply
    1. sarah

      Post author

      I agree that they are hard to use. I'm glad I remembered them for this project. Glad it gives you inspiration. Thanks for visiting, Jaye.

      Reply
  2. Anja @ Anja Quilts

    Very nice. I, too, had several ideas, but went small and quick in order to finish on time. I never think to piece the exterior for an open wide zippered pouch. I think I need to try that next time.

    Reply
    1. sarah

      Post author

      I've done a few with pieced bits. I think it's great to start with a pile of coordinating fabric and "use it up" by piecing to make panels for bags (drawstring or zipper). Thanks for visiting, Anja. Enjoy the week off from PQ challenges. :-)

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *